Resume of Nancy A. Black, LICSW
- SUCCEED Educational Consulting, LLC, Portsmouth, RI, 2010 to Present
- IECA Professional Member, 2010
- IECA Associate Member, 2008
- IECA Summer Training Institute, 2008
- IECA Fall and Spring Professional Conferences, 2008 - 2013
- Private Practice, Portsmouth, RI, 1991 to Present
- Consultation, assessment, and treatment of adults, children and adolescents with anxiety and mood disorders,
learning disabilities, trauma, behavior disorders, and autistic spectrum disorders.
- Treatment planning with school personnel, hospitals, and residential facilities
- Presented series of workshops at Bradley Hospital for parents of children with severe behavioral issues.
- American Consular Agent, South Australia, 1987 - 1989
- Relocation counseling of newly arrived American families.
- Researched questions regarding visas, passports, health and education in collaboration with the United States Embassy in Melbourne, Australia.
- Represented US families at American/Australian events.
- Administered "preschool readiness" assessments and screenings.
- Tutored children in "whole language" reading program.
- Psychotherapy Private Practice, New London, CT, 1984 - 1987
- Consultation with private and public schools in conducting psychotherapy with young students with severe speech and language deficits
- Collaboration with Connecticut College Speech and Language Program
- Institute of Living, Hartford, CT, 1984 - 1987
- Two year clinical training and education program focusing on child and adolescent diagnosing and treatment.
- Course work covered comprehensive study of child and adolescent disorders.
- Training and intensive supervision of clinical assessments at the Institute of Living In-patient and Partial Hospital Program.
- Publication of article addressing the implications of language development in providing clinical services to the autistic population.
- Institute of Living, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 1983 - 1986
Graduate Training and Experience
- Connecticut College Graduate School, Department of Psychology, 1989 - 1990
- Administered psychological testing at Norwich State Hospital in Young Adult Unit.
- Completed two semesters of coursework on psychological and educational testing of children and adults.
- Lawrence and Memorial Hospital, New London, CT, 1977 - 1981
- Brackenridge Hospital, Austin, TX, 1975 - 1976
- Provided crisis intervention to parents and families of children with acute and terminal illness, as well as accident victims requiring intensive rehabilitation.
- Elizabeth Lund Home, Burlington, VT, 1974
- Provided counseling for residentially placed adolescent girls with behavior disorders, high-risk pregnancies, and affective disorders.
Professional Development and Training Offerings
- University of California, Irvine: Course completed: Summer 2011
- College Counseling with International Students
- University of Cape Town, South Africa, April, 2010, Department of Psychology, Guest Lecturer on Eating Disorders
- Rhode Island Chapter, NASW July 2010, Administered Mental Health Training on Cultural Competency and Cultural Diversity
to clinical social workers and teachers
- Newport County Community Mental Health Center, Newport, Rhode Island, March 2008: Guest Speaker at annual community
meeting, Advocacy for Special Needs Populations
- Training in Psychoanalytical Hypnotherapy 1988 to 1989, Program Development, Flinders University, Adelaide, South Australia
Professional Development and Continuing Education
- Harvard College Medical School Conferences:
- Neurodevelopmental Disorders of Childhood
- Adolescent Self Destruction
- Childhood Developmental Disorders
- Bipolar Disorder from Childhood to Adulthood
- Brown University School of Medicine Conference:
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Asperger's Syndrome in Children and Adolescents
- Rhode Island Psychological Association Conference:
- Psychopharmacology of Children and Adults
- Boston Children's Hospital Conference:
- The Biology of Autism
- Asperger's Association of New England and Lecture by Ross Greene:
- Asperger's Syndrome
- Explosive / Noncompliant Children and Adolescents: A New Conceptual Approach
- Lecture by Russell Barkley:
- Treatment of children and Adolescents with ADHD and ODD
- Autism Support Center and Institute of Community Inclusion Conference:
- The Autistic Spectrum: Tools to Enhance the Quality of Life
- Spurwink Institute Conferences:
- Secrets to Academic Success for ADD/ADHD Students
- Case Management and Treatment for Sexually Abused and Abusing Adolescents
- Health Science Seminars:
- Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
Fuller Hospital and Arbor Health Care Seminar:
Traumatized Children: Community and School Interventions
- Bradley Hospital Seminars:
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in the Classroom
- Educating the Difficult Adolescent
- Organizing the Classroom Around the Autistic Child
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workshop on Working with Survivors of Sexual Abuse
- Nonverbal Learning Disabilities
- Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and University of Pennsylvania:
- 37th Annual Philadelphia Regional Conference on Developmental Disabilities
- Master's of Social Work (MSW), 1976
- University of Texas, Austin, TX
- Master's of Science (MS) in Community Development, 1975
- University of Maine, Orono, ME
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Psychology, 1973
- University of Maine, Orono, ME